Self Introduction

Dear Professor Brad,


I am Xiao wenhan from TLM1010 Group 1, I'm writing this letter to further let you understand more about me. I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic with a diploma in Telematics Engineering. During my Final year Project in NYP, I made an online food ordering application which makes use of Near Field Communications(NFC).

Through my FYP, I realized how the world revolves around the internet, I'm also fascinated by the Internet of things (IoT), how machines/vehicles can "Talk/communicate" with each other, it's really something no one has ever thought of till now. therefore I choose to enhance myself by taking this degree and hope to develop some new products or enhance transportation in Singapore to benefit everyone in the near future.

I believe learning how to present and converse is very important. When I was in NYP, I always speak softly for my presentation as I was very shy, but with practice, I overcame my fear of presenting to a crowd. During my 2 years in the army, there was parent engagement session for me every month, so I've got to talk to and understand more about my recruits from their parents when they sent their son to my camp for Basic military training. During the sessions, I have to present myself well and confident, so the parents will know their son is in the right hands.

By the end of this course, I really want to be more outgoing and not socially awkward like I used to be. I believe my communication skills need more improvement and also hope I can learn to write proper emails and formats and also how to present well to a mass audience or at least my teammate and boss when I enter the workforce.

Yours sincerely,
Xiao wen han (Alex)
TLM1010 Group 1

Comments

  1. Dear Wenhan,

    Thank you for this clear, very concise and yet fairly complete self introduction. You have followed the model presented in class closely and produced a letter that addresses each element of the task requirements.

    I appreciate the decent explanation of the journey you’ve taken at poly, and I applaud your open (though brief) discussion of strengths and weaknesses in communication. It’s good to know about your interest in IoT and about your FYP, and I appreciate your sharing about your role in NS and how communication was important for you.

    At the same time, you state that you’d like to improve your ‘communication skills’. In terms of specific language use, you do a decent job, but you need to review the following:

    1. overuse of capital letter
    2. comma splices
    -- I am Xiao wenhan from TLM1010 Group 1, I'm writing this letter to further... > (review info here: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl_exercises/sentence_structure/sentence_structure/run_ons_comma_splices_and_fused_sentences.html )

    -- Through my FYP, I realized how the world revolves around the internet, I'm also fascinated by the Internet of things (IoT), how machines/vehicles can "Talk/communicate" with each other, it's really something no one has ever thought of till now.

    There are several other examples that you need to identify.

    3. verb tense
    -- When I was in NYP, I always speak... > When I was in NYP, I always spoke...

    We may discuss these in class.

    I look forward to learning more from you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mr Brad,

      Thanks for taking your time to read my blog post,
      I will change and learn from the mistakes which I've made.

      Regards,
      Alex

      Delete
  2. Dear Wenhan,

    Thank you for your interesting self introduction. Good to hear that you are interested in the world of IoT. With your positive attitude towards learning, I'm sure you will be able to be more sociable in the future workforce.

    Regards,

    Jun Hui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Junhui for your feedback !

      Regards,
      Alex

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts